Second place winner William Hee, of Stripsteak Waikiki, and third place finisher Tyler Johnson, of SKY Waikiki, won cash prizes of $1,000 and $750, respectively. “We are amazed how_ creatively iichiko BLU is used in a variety of drinks. It truly lends itself well to many tastes. Because iichiko BLU is exclusive to Hawaii, we are very pleased that the bartenders used island flavors,” said Tetsuro Miyazaki, iichiko USA North America Development Manager. “Our congratulations to Andrew and all of our winners.”
“I was fortunate to win a truly amazing competition_ hosted by iichiko BLU. I was competing against friends who demonstrated, with their technical skills, showmanship and knowledge, why Hawaii is such a destination when it comes to craft cocktails, and why I’m so grateful and proud to be a part of this community,” shared Woodley. “I look forward to seeing the distillery, and its beautiful surroundings.”
The recipe for Woodley’s
“Gift of the Islands”_
2 oz. iichiko BLU
.5 oz. Pineapple Gum
.5 oz. Lemon Juice
Dash Green Chartreuse Shiso and mint leaves
The competition was judged by a panel of internationally and locally known experts including CEO of iichiko USA Tomohisa Kadoyanagi and award-winning bartender Jacques Bezuidenhout, voted Best Bartender in San Francisco and on the Board of Advisors for Liquor.com (https://www.liquor.com/). Judges also included longtime “Barfly” columnist and Honolulu Star-Advertiser reporter Jason Genegabus; Skipper Bonano, of the United States Bartenders’ Guild, and lead bartender at Yauatcha; and Jen Marshall, of the United States Bartenders’ Guild, and New York Senior Portfolio Associate at Momentum Worldwide for William Grant & Sons. Exclusive to Hawaii, iichiko BLU is a favorite of local mixologists and foodies in Hawaii restaurants and clubs alike. This premium shochu spirit is distilled and made from barley, carefully developed to create both a rich and delicate flavor. iichiko BLU is the Chairman’s Trophy Award winner in shochu, at the 2017 Ultimate Spirits Challenge, one of the world's leading spirits competitions. It also garnered the Tried & True Award and scored 96 points, the highest of all the shochus, at the competition. iichiko BLU was also honored with the Best of Shochu award, scoring 95 points at the 2017 Los Angeles International Spirits Competition.
In addition to being served in Hawaii’s leading _nightlife destinations, iichiko BLU is now available at local retail outlets, so consumers can enjoy its award-winning most popular nightlife destination, with upscale food and drink, and featuring incredible panoramic views of Waikiki.
About SKY Waikiki:
SKY Waikiki is Hawaii’s ultimate rooftop destination. Designed to entice and entertain, SKY Waikiki is highlighted by a wrap-around, cantilevered deck with iconic panoramic views of the Waikiki coastline, Diamond Head perched in the distance, and city light glittering 19 stories below. SKY Waikiki combines headline musical performances, signature cocktails crafted by mixologist Jennifer Ackrill, and a unique menu of social cuisine created by award-winning Executive Chef Lance Kosaka to create an upscale experience, comparable to none. See skywaikiki.com.
About iichiko BLU:
iichiko BLU is a premium shochu spirit produced in Japan, created exclusively for Hawaii. BLU is made from 100% barley (barley and barley koji): 30% of the barley is polished and the_ remaining _70% used in BLU. iichiko BLU is produced using a single distillation process combining techniques of low-pressure and atmospheric distillation and blended to create a distinctive shochu with bright koji flavors. Bright and_ clear in color, BLUŪ is bursting with aromas of ripe melon and fresh lychee. It presents a lush yet light feel with fleshy fruit flavors continuing on the palate. The finish is subtle, marked by a hint of candied ginger. See www.iichiko.co.jp/en/.
News and Events